President CMAAO, HCFI and Past National President IMA
1.Critics are calling for the resignation of Japan’s longest-serving prime minister, Shinzo Abe, for his handling of the country’s outbreak.
2. Japan has struggled to roll out widespread testing for the virus, which has been limited to 900 patients per day while neighboring countries test up to 10,000 daily
3.Italy reported 41 new coronavirus deaths on Thursday, a big jump in the toll there (now 148 over all).
4. At sea: The Grand Princess, a cruise ship with thousands of people on board, is being held off the coast of California, after officials learned that a patient who died from the coronavirus had previously traveled on the vessel. About 20 people had symptoms.
5. New York’s cluster doubled in a day: two new cases in New York City, eight more in the Westchester suburbs, one in Fort Lee, N.J. Some were found by tracing the contacts of one patient from New Rochelle, N.Y., but others had no known links to that case.
March 6 (GMT):
5 new cases in the United States: first 2 cases in Colorado (Summit County): 1 is a 30-year old man who had traveled to Italy in February and was in contact with a confirmed case outside of Colorado. first 3 cases in Maryland (Montgomery County): they had all recently traveled overseas.
8 new cases in Canada (British Columbia): 1 has no travel history, 2 had recently returned from Iran, 4 are linked to a previously confirmed case, 1 is connected to University Canada West where a presumptive case is being investigated.
1 new case in Argentina: a 23-year old man who had recently traveled to Italy
1st case in Costa Rica: a woman who had traveled to Italy and Tunisia
1 new case in Chile: a Cook County resident in his 20s who flew into O’Hare after traveling from Italy where he caught the illness '
2 new cases in Hungary: including a man in Debrecen who works in Milan, Italy
1 new case in New Zealand: the partner of a previously confirmed case '
63 new cases and 1 new death in the United States, including at least: 1st case in Colorado, - 1 case in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, fifth case in Illinois a person who returned from Italy. He’s in isolation at Rush. - second case in New Jersey: a 32-year-old man from Fort Lee '- 2 cases in Harris County, Texas: both are travel-related '
- 1 new death in King County (Washington state): a woman in her 90s
- a resident of Sonoma County (second case there) who traveled internationally on the Grand Princess ship from San Francisco to Mexico
- 4 in Los Angeles County, California
- the 1st cases in San Francisco, California '
- 11 in New York State: 3 are in serious condition and are treated in intensive care units
New cases include a man in his 40s and a woman in her 80s
- the 1st case in Nevada
- 1 in Tennessee (Williamson County)
- a Facebook worker in Seattle
- the 1st case in New Jersey: a man in his 30s hospitalized in Bergen County
138 new cases and 3 new deaths in France, including the first 3 cases in Corsica
7 new cases in Ireland: including the first in Cork, with no recent history of travel, who is being treated in an intensive care unit.
1 new death in Iran today is of a senior Iranian politician, Hossein Sheikholeslam, Iran’s former ambassador to Syria and former advisor to current Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. He was 67 years old
5 new cases in Brazil
1 new case in Luxembourg: a person who had recently returned from Northern Italy
283 new cases in Germany
First 7 cases in Palestine, West Bank. 5 new cases in addition to the first 2 reported earlier. Palestinian Authority closes Bethlehem churches and mosques for two weeks
1st death in the UK, an older patient with pre-existing conditions.
769 new cases and 41 new deaths in Italy, which becomes the country with the largest daily increase in cases and deaths in the world.
Among the 3,296 active cases, 1,790 (54%) are hospitalized, 331 of which (representing 11% of active cases) are in intensive care.
Among the 562 closed cases, 414 (74%) have recovered, 148 (26%) have died.
42 new cases in Sweden, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 94.
5 new cases in Slovenia
5 new cases in Denmark including former Danish footballer Thomas Kahlenberg
28 new cases in the UK
2 new cases in Israel
1 new case and 1 new death in Iraq: a 65-year-old person in Baghdad
1 new case in Israel
2 new cases and 1 new recovery in Canada (Ontario)
3 new cases in Ecuador: all linked to the first confirmed case
1 new case in Oman: a man who had recently traveled to Milan, Italy
Diamond Princess cruise ship: The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has corrected the number of cases from 706 to 696. After examining the results of the virus test, it was reported that some people were counted twice.
4 new cases in the Czech Republic
1 new case in Lebanon: a Lebanese woman coming from Britain
3 new cases in Portugal: two males, aged between 40 and 50, admitted to São João Hospital in Porto, and a man in Lisbon who had recently traveled to Italy
44 new cases in the Netherlands
26 new cases and 1st death in Switzerland: a 74-year-old woman who had been hospitalized since March 3. The woman suffered from a chronic illness. Source of infection still unclear.
54 new cases and 1 death in Spain
33 new cases in Japan, including 8 in Tokyo and 8 in Aichi
5 new cases in the Republic of San Marino bringing the total to 21: 15 are hospitalized, 3 are in serious condition.
1 new case in India (Ghaziabad)
22 new cases in Greece
1 new case in Canada (Québec)
5 new cases and 2 new recoveries in Singapore
3 new cases in Saudi Arabia
1st case in South Africa: a 38-year-old man who had traveled to Italy with his wife. They were part of a group of 10 who arrived back in South Africa on March 1.
9 new cases in Iceland
1 new case in Egypt, bringing the total to 3
3 new cases and 3 new recoveries in Bahrain
5 new cases in Malaysia
27 new cases in Belgium
6 new case in Georgia: a person who had recently visited Italy.
3 new cases in Azebaijan: they had all visited Iran.
3 new case in Estonia: including a resident of Tallinn who had been on the same flight from Bergamo, Italy, to Riga as the second confirmed case.
1 new case in Slovenia: a person who was in contact with the first case.
591 new cases and 15 new deaths in Iran
5 new cases in Finland: 3 in the Helsinki and Uusimaa hospital district, 1 is in Pirkanmaa and 1 in Kanta-Häme. The case in Kanta-Häme is a child in Hämeenlinna who had returned from northern Italy with their family on Tuesday.
3 new cases in Scotland (UK)
1 new case in Russia: an Italian citizen
1st case in Bosnia and Herzegovina: a middle-aged man and his child who recently visited Italy. His wife tested negative. He is in stable condition, hospitalized in isolation in Banja Luka. School children who have had contact with the infected child will now be tested.
1 new case in Morocco: a Moroccan woman who recently returned to Casablanca from Italy.
2 new cases in Kuwait
8 new cases in Norway
15 new cases in Austria
4 new cases in Thailand
- a 29 year-old Italian man who arrived in Thailand on March 1
- a 42 year-old Thai male office worker who returned from Italy
- a 22 year-old Chinese male student who was screened with symptoms while in transit at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport while traveling from Iran to China.
- a 20 year-old Thai male student who arrived from Iran on Feb. 27
467 new cases, 5 new deaths, and 47 new recoveries in South Korea
139 new cases (134 in Hubei), 31 new deaths (all in Hubei) and 2,189 new discharges occurred in China on March 4, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China.