We all have experienced coincidences that hold some special meaning or significance, and appear to defy the laws of probability. We tend to ignore them as something amusing or insignificant. If you bump into someone you haven’t met for a long time, then it is advisable to stop and talk to him or her. Remain aware of a message from the universe that they might be carrying for you. Follow the coincidence through, and you’ll be amazed to find where it takes you.
These coincidences have been termed as “Synchronicity” or simply as “coming together of seemingly unrelated events”.
Carl Gustav Jung, the Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst said, “We talk about synchronicity when two or more seemingly ‘pure chance’ events coincide to form a connection that has a special meaning for the perceiver. Heraclitus put it as, “The unseen design of things is more harmonious than the seen.”
Deepak Chopra calls ‘Synchro Destiny’ as the inherent Power of Meaningful Coincidence (present in everyone) to manifest ‘Abundance’ in one’s Life. ‘Abundance’ may include material wealth, emotional well-being, spiritual fulfillment, ability to fully experience love and compassion, and feel the joy and being able to spread it to others.
Synchronicity or meaningful coincidences can be explained by quantum physics.
Matter can be sequentially broken into atoms and then to subatomic particles (protons, electrons and neutrons), photons, quantum and wave. A photon is both a wave and a particle at the same time (wave particle duality). When two photons particles interact or become ‘entangled’ and then separate, they are connected at a speed much faster than the speed of light and act similar even when separated by huge distances. In this entangled state, the two photons (or quantum bits – qubits) share an existence or characteristics (quantum information measured as quantumbits ‘qubits’) and are interdependent. When one is altered in any way, the other too is altered even at a distance. Einstein called this connection as “spooky action at a distance” as according to him this was impossible. This phenomenon answers many of the mysteries of consciousness because at the level of photon, we are connected to everybody in the universe.
Synchrodestiny occurs when wave and wave meet or both the sender and receiver are in a parasympathetic state of mind. In such a situation, the receiver will catch the signals; the two are likely to get connected and have a dialogue. It is this connection, which we call coincidence.
To understand the genesis at Synchro-Destiny, one needs to know that that our lives are truly connected at every moment to the creative power of the universe (called ‘Brahman’ in Vedas). These connections require acquiring a state described in Vedic description as ‘Ritam bhara pragya’ [Ritam (rhythm), Bhara (full of), Pragya (mind), or in other words “a mind full of rhythm”]. It represents that state of mind where the thought waves are synchronous with the order of the universe and where the microcosm and macrocosm are in coherence with each other.
Consciousness or the ‘soul’ is the silent state of mind with full powers. These powers are hidden under the smoke of mind, intellect and ego which is controlled by the software of action, memory and desires. The interface between the two layers, the disturbed and the undisturbed state of consciousness, is what the “ritam bhara pragya” is. Once you cross into this state, the intentions becomes powerful and one start experiencing spontaneous fulfillment of desires.
In Vedas, this term is loosely translated as “a state where only truth is known”. It is said that if one can be conscious in this state, a desire can be manifested as it is right at the level of manifestation onto the physical plane. This is also the level where one experiences the Siddhis or super normal powers as described by Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras.
Deepak Chopra in his latest book on this subject describes seven key principles for mastering Synchro-Destiny.
- The existence of the conscious energy field: It indicates the presence of an underlying intelligence within and outside the body. The whole universe can be called as an extended part of our body. (Sri Ramanuja, the proponent of qualified dualism). When one lives one’s life with an appreciation of coincidences and their meanings, one has connected to the underlying field of infinite possibilities.
- Creating cosmic connections: Creating Cosmic Connections means creating a human environment in which Synchro-Destiny can take place. In mastering Synchro-Destiny, the ability to create positive human relationships is much more than a tactic or a manipulative necessity, and is rather very fundamental to life, in the same way as ‘gravity’ or ‘having air to breathe’ is fundamental.
- Mastering inner dialogue: Controlling the disturbed state of consciousness.
- The art of penetrating the conspiracy of improbabilities: It means learning to recognize meaningful coincidences and to see them as opportunities rather than just little breaks in your daily routine (synchronistic moments).
- Harnessing emotional turbulence: Once we understand that the universe really is our extended body, it becomes very clear that negative energy within ourselves is very self-destructive. Emotional Turbulence is a major barrier to the spontaneous fulfillment of desire. Transforming negative energy into a higher level of awareness is the fifth principle of mastering Synchro-Destiny.
- Learning to use the infinite organizing power of intention: Understanding that beyond known forces like gravity or electromagnetism that control the universe, there is a strong internal thought force called ‘intention’.
- Celebrating the Cosmic Dance: When you have mastered Synchro-Destiny, and have learned to synchronize your life with the universe itself, you are Celebrating the Cosmic Dance.
Once you follow these principles, the following transformations take place.
o You see the world as an extension of your inner self, as part of the bigger biosphere.
o Through relationships you learn about your non-local self (spiritual, soulful self) and the higher realm that connects us.
o You become aware of when your thoughts are coming from the spirit and when they are coming from the ego.
o You understand the power of intention and how it works.
o You let go of the grievances and resentment which overshadow your spiritual self.
o You value both the masculine and feminine aspects of your being.
o You start appreciating the wonders of the universe and stay alert to coincidences.
Dr KK Aggarwal
Padma Shri Awardee
Vice President CMAAO
Group Editor-in-Chief IJCP Publications
Vice President CMAAO
Group Editor-in-Chief IJCP Publications
President Heart Care Foundation of India
Immediate Past National President IMA