Saturday, October 13, 2018

Revisiting dengue: Look for rise in hematocrit and not just falling platelets



Whenever dengue strikes, platelet counts along with shortage of platelets become the high point of discussion and panic sets in. Because it is presumed that platelet transfusion is the main treatment option for dengue. This is not so.

Platelet transfusions are not needed unless the platelet counts are less than 10,000 or there is active bleeding and thickening of blood.

Dengue causes low platelet count, but low platelet count by itself is never dangerous because patients with heart disease, diabetes are prescribed antiplatelets like aspirin, where they have a beneficial effect in preventing thrombotic complications. They are asked to report if they develop bleeding while on antiplatelets. Patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) always have a low platelet count and they live a normal life on medication.

It’s not the platelet count alone with determines the prognosis of a patient of dengue.

More than the falling platelet count, it is the rapidity of fall in platelet count that is important. Even this does not alone is indicative of severity of illness.

Dengue not only causes low platelet count or destroys platelets, it also causes endothelial damage. Capillary leakage manifests as hemoconcentration and leads to increase in hematocrit and/or MCV and this is important. This is a medical emergency because a rising hematocrit means intravascular dehydration, which leads to multiorgan failure, hypotension and death.

Therefore, it is the rise in hematocrit along with rapid fall in platelets, which is the danger sign and is indicative of impending severe dengue.

Here is a simple Formula of 20 to identify high risk patients 

·         Rise in pulse by 20
·         Fall in upper blood pressure by more than 20
·         Rise in hematocrit by more than 20%
·         Rapid fall in platelets to less than 20,000
·         More than 20 hemorrhagic spots on the arm in one inch after tourniquet test
·         Difference between upper and lower BP is less than 20

Start fluid replacement at 20 ml/kg/hour immediately in such patients, and shift to nearest medical center for observation. 


Dr KK Aggarwal
Padma Shri Awardee
President Elect Confederation of Medical Associations in Asia and Oceania   (CMAAO)
Group Editor-in-Chief IJCP Publications
President Heart Care Foundation of India
Immediate Past National President IMA


1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete