· Oral insulin 338 (I338) can safely improve glycaemic control in insulin-naive patients with type 2 diabetes with no evidence of a difference compared with insulin glargine. The evidence for its feasibility has been published for the first time in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology online Jan. 21, 2019. I338 is a long-acting, basal insulin analog formulated in a tablet with the absorption-enhancer sodium caprate.
· Updated AHA/ACC/HRS treatment guidelines for atrial fibrillation (AF) recommend a newer type of blood-thinning medications, non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants (NOACs) as the preferred alternative to warfarin for reducing the risk of stroke associated with AF.
· Sudden cardiac death remains a daunting problem for at least three major reasons: (i) with a prevalence of 20% of total mortality in the industrial world it has a major impact on society; (ii) it has devastating psycho-social effects on the families of the victims who often are still in their prime; and (iii) it represents an unconquered scientific challenge for medicine and cardiology.
· Smoking, diabetes, high cholesterol and high BP: one of the four risk factors is present in 80-90 % in cases of significant CHD and 95% cases of fatal accidents of CHD.
· Children who spend more time on digital media and screens at ages 24 and 36 months are more likely to have worse scores on developmental screening tests at ages 36 and 60 months, as per a study published online Jan. 28, 2019 in JAMA Pediatrics.
· New research suggests that positive personality traits may help to reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes among women. Emerging evidence shows that depression and cynicism also are associated with an increased risk of diabetes in addition to the traditional risk factors. In addition, high levels of hostility have been associated with high fasting glucose levels, insulin resistance, and prevalent diabetes.
Dr KK Aggarwal
Padma Shri Awardee
President Elect Confederation of Medical Associations in Asia and Oceania (CMAAO)
Group Editor-in-Chief IJCP Publications
President Heart Care Foundation of India
Past National President IMA
Post a Comment