Friday, November 2, 2018

Yesterday’s miracles are today’s science and today’s miracles will be tomorrow’s science

As physicians taking care of critically ill patients, a question that people often ask is “What are the chances that he/she will make it?

And, the usual answer to this is “We are doing our best. But events are not unfolding as we would like”.

Another common question is “Is there still hope?” 

And in answer we say, “If you believe in prayer, soul searching or miracles - This is the time to pray, do some soul searching or hope for a miracle”.

The family members or friends of the terminally ill patient do not expect a scientific answer to these questions at this juncture of time. Although, a scientific answer may be given. The family can be informed that their patient is not going to survive but remember that science does not preclude the possibility of the improbable.

A patient who has 99.9% chances of dying, still has 0.1% chances of surviving. Some people do survive despite the heavy odds, for which there cannot be a scientific explanation. They are miracles.

A national survey of 1,100 physicians, conducted by HCD Research and the Louis Finkelstein Institute for Religious and Social Studies of The Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City in 2004 found that 74% of doctors believe that miracles have occurred in the past and 73% believe that can occur today. Surprisingly, a majority of doctors (55%) said that they have seen treatment results in their patients that they would consider miraculous, though 45% do not agree … (Business Wire)

So, what can be the reasons for miracles?

·         The patient was healed due to spontaneous recovery or resolution.
·         He may have been on an alternative therapy.
·         He may have been on unconventional, yet not known therapies
·         He may have had a reversible risk factor.
·         He is suffering from a new illness with unpredictable course.
·         He may have stimulated his inner pharmacy, which worked. Quantum healing may explain this. Our Vedic knowledge says that we are both particle and a wave at the same time. This wave-particle duality of the human body exists at the level of photon. While modern ‘particle-based’ medicine treats the disease, the ‘wave’-based medicine (yoga and meditation) seeks the origin of the disease. Yoga and meditation help the body to shift from sympathetic (disturbed) to the parasympathetic (healing) state.

No human being should ever be deprived of hope. For some, hope is the vehicle of intent that allows the improbable to become actionable. It is an optimistic state of mind. The opposite state is hopelessness and despair. Give hope but not by artificially prolonging life of the patient.

Yesterday’s miracles are today’s science and today’s miracles will be tomorrow’s science. Believe in hope and miracles…

Dr KK Aggarwal
Padma Shri Awardee
President Elect Confederation of Medical Associations in Asia and Oceania   (CMAAO)
Group Editor-in-Chief IJCP Publications
President Heart Care Foundation of India
Immediate Past National President IMA

No comments:

Post a Comment