When we look at famous people, be it any field, we are awestruck by their persona and the aura of success that surrounds them. We are all fascinated by celebrities and famous people. Their charismatic personality is captivating, which draws people towards them. Impressive, inspiring, amazing, awe-inspiring are often how such people are described. We admire them and we aspire to be like them.
And at times, one can’t help but feel a twinge of envy at their success.
All successful people have some qualities, which separate them from the rest of us. But, it is possible to cultivate these special qualities.
When you read about famous people, see them on TV or in person, then instead of all the above emotions, think about and analyze their distinct qualities or personality traits, which led them on to the path of success… Think “what quality he/she has that is lacking in me and if develop that quality, can I become the same”.
Here is a simple exercise, which we all can do.
· Make a list of five such famous personalities or people who you have met e.g. your teacher, etc., who inspire you.
· Then list the qualities, which you most admire or like in them.
· Pick out one quality from each.
· Keep this list on your work desk in your office and at your home, as a constant reminder.
· Try to inculcate them in your day to day life, bring it in your routine. Fix a number of days or weeks for this.
· This requires repeated action and when actions are repeated, they become a habit.
This way they become role models for us.
I recently had the opportunity to visit the ‘108 Shiv Mandir’ at Bardhman in West Bengal. There are 108 small temples constructed side by side in two circles. So, 108 can be an arbitrary number. Repeat the action 108 times, it will become a habit.
Always choose the company of positive people and meet people of eminence.
Sewa, Simran and Sangat are the three principles of life as per the most Vedic literature. Even Adi Shankaracharya described Sangat as the main force for living a spiritual life.
Sangat is the company of people you interact with. The company of good people makes one good; vice versa is also true.
“As one thinks, so he becomes”. The human mind is very powerful. Its potential is unlimited. It can influence behavior.
Repeated actions change to habits, which ultimately shape your personality.
Dr KK Aggarwal
National President IMA & HCFI
Post a Comment