Saturday, December 8, 2012

I am also a Sardar

I am also a Sardar

Recently in the marriage of the daughter of my friend Dr  H K Chopra, I was made to wear a Sikh pagri at the time of marriage. This happened as the boy Vikram to whom Karishma married is a Sikh.
It was an accidental as by the time I reached the marriage function, the original pandit who was making people wear traditional pagdi had left. The job was then transferred to Dr. IPS Kalra who is a senior Sikh cardiologist to tie the turban to the rest of the people including myself.
After wearing Sikh turban I got excited and got few pictures. Suddenly, an insight came to me “Am I not a Sardar?”
A similar feeling came to me when I joined Rotary club few decades back and I realized I was more than a Rotarian already before I joined Rotary club.
My concept of a true Sardar is from understanding the meaning of Sikh prayer which I understand as the following:
1.      Ik Onkar – which means there is only one God and that is within me and it is possible for me to be in touch with my God.
2.      To acquire or to be in touch with my God I need to follow the next two lines – Satnam and karta purakh” which means I must follow the path of truthfulness and selfless actions. For me truthfulness means synonymous in whatever thinking , doing and speaking, and selfless  action means doing anything without any expectations.  Once I follow these two paths I will be in touch with my consciousness.
3. How do I know that I am in touch with my consciousness can be known by understanding the next two lines “Nirbhay and Nirvair” which means I will start living a life without fear and then my enemies will start becoming my friends.
4.      Once I have done that I acquire the knowledge about consciousness, God by understanding the next two lines “Akal moorat ajoonee saibhn” which means he is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. He is never born and never dies and reincarnates by himself.
5.       The next lines of the Sikh prayer indicate that anyone who follows these principles is a true Sardar and I started thinking that if not 100% I have some qualities of a Sardar in me.
The above was true, is true and will remain true as it was said by Gura  Nanak Ji as he never spoke a lie in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment