1. As per Vedic knowledge, there are two seasons in the country Uttarayana and Dakshinayana.
2. Uttarayana is from mid January to mid July.
3. Dakshinayana is from mid July to mid January.
4. In Uttarayana, sun moves towards the north and days are longer.
5. In Dakshinayana, nights are longer.
6. In Uttarayana, the mind is in positive state.
7. In Dakshinayana, the mind is in negative state.
8. In Dakshinayana, in the first four months marriages are not held.
9. In Uttarayana, only in holashtak period i.e. 8 days before Holi, the marriages and religious functions are not held.
10. Most of the detoxification festivals are held in Dakshinayana.
11. In Uttarayana, the major festival is only Holi which deals with removal of negativity from the mind.
12. Being a positive state of mind, Uttarayana involves festivals which are positive, full of fun and enjoyment.
13. Bhishm Pitamah waited for Uttarayana to leave his Prana.
14. As per Bhagavad Gita, best time to die is Uttarayana, daytime before full moon, and in atmosphere of yagna.
15. At the time of death, positive state of mind takes one to liberation.