CMAAO Message to all National Medical Associations as
COVID-19 surpassing 100 000
Dr K K Aggarwal
The global number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 has surpassed 100 000. ACMAAO reminds all NMAs that the spread of this virus can be significantly slowed or even reversed through the implementation of robust containment and control activities.
1. China and other countries are demonstrating that spread of the virus can be slowed and impact reduced through the use of universally applicable actions, such as working across society to identify people who are sick, bringing them to care, following up on contacts, preparing hospitals and clinics to manage a surge in patients, and training health workers.
2. CMAAO calls on all NMAs tries to continue efforts that have been effective in limiting the number of cases and slowing the spread of the virus.
3. Every effort to contain the virus and slow the spread saves lives.
4. These efforts give government and society much needed time to prepare, and researchers more time to identify effective treatments and develop vaccines.
5. Allowing uncontrolled spread should not be a choice as it will harm not only the citizens of that country but affect other countries as well.
6. We must stop, contain, control, delay and reduce the impact of this virus at every opportunity.
7. Every person has the capacity to contribute, to protect themselves, to protect others, whether in the home, the community, the health care system, the work place or the transport system.
8. All NMas should continue to work with other society bodies and expert networks to coordinate the international response, develop guidance, share knowledge and provide people with the information they need to protect themselves and others. [source WHO briefings]