We can do it collectively by fixing the gaps
Stop, contain, control, delay and reduce the impact of this virus at every opportunity
Dr KK Aggarwal
President CMAAO, HCFI and Past National President IMA
8th March: The following gaps in the system needs to be adequately taken care of
1. Risk (spread) free transport of a sick patient from home to the designated hospital.
2. Blood samples of a suspected cases ( OPD or admitted) are being send to non BSL 2 labs for biochemistry routine check-ups. They all should be labelled COVID 19 suspect. All non corona testing labs should also follow universal precautions.
3. All cases with fever and cough for Xray and CT scans cannot mix with routine patients. They must be provided caps at the reception, no line with routine patients. Health care workers to take all droplet and air borne precautions.
4. Earphones provided to experts in the TV panels should not be reused. I carry my own.
5. In India the number of cases saw a spurt on 4th March. From 10-15 March there will neb an expected spurt (wave) as the contacts may show up the infection after their incubation period is over. Media should be sensitised not get panic at that time. Similar precautions should be taken by all countries.
6. Epidemic disease act or their equivalent in all countries should be notified and implemented.
7. General instructions should be issued to all that anyone with cough and or cold with FEVER should not go to public gatherings. If they do IPC 270 ( or country specific relevant law) may be implementable.
8. Healthcare providers may be ensured that if the disease spread their expense and treatment will be taken care by the government.
9. That tele consultations by doctors gets paid.
10. Surgical masks to be available at all public places for patients with fever and cough. Others do not require it.