Air Pollution ECHO Program
All children above age 10 should know all about 10 and Pollution
Dr K K Aggarwal
President CMAAO, HCFI and Past National President IMA
1. As per WHO, only 10 % of people in the world breath non polluted air
2. Air pollution (0utdoor plus indoor) contributes to 10% of deaths globally
3. pollutants are: Sulphur dioxide, Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide, Nitrogen oxides, Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), Particulates, Ozone, Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), Unburned hydrocarbons and Lead and heavy metals
4. PM10: inhalable particles, with diameters that are generally 10 micrometres and smaller.
5. For PM2.5 the levels should be < 10 µg/m3 annual mean and 25 µg/m3 24-hour mean
6. The Women's Health Initiative Observational study database of more than 65,000 postmenopausal women without prior CVD was used to evaluate the relation between a woman's long-term exposure to air pollutants and the risk for a first cardiovascular event. For each 10 mcg/m3 increase in pollution concentration, there were significant increases in the risk of any cardiovascular event (hazard ratio 1.24), death from CVD (hazard ratio 1.76), and of cerebrovascular events (hazard ratio 1.35). [N Engl J Med 2007; 356:447.]
7. A meta-analysis of 29 cities outside western Europe and North America found a mortality effect of 0.5% per 10 µg/m3 (Cohen et al., 2004) increase of Pm 10 levels.
8. We perceive one sound to be twice as loud as another one when they are about 10 dB apart; for instance, a 60-dB air conditioner will sound twice as loud as a 50-dB refrigerator.
9. Decrease in the concentration of the fine particulate pollution (PM2.5) by 10 micrograms per cubic meter is associated with an increased life expectancy of 0.77 year and 15 percent of the overall increase in life expectancy
10. Air pollution is one of the leading threats to child health, accounting for almost 1 in 10 deaths in children under five years of age. (10%)
11. Environmentally attributable fraction of lead poisoning is neurobehavioral disorders 10%
12. Seven of the top 10 most polluted cities in the world are in India,
13. Ten anti-pollution plants are: Areca Palm, Philodendron, Rubber Plant, Peace Lily, Dracaena, Snake Plant, Boston Fern, Aloe Vera, English Ivy, Spider plant
14. "Terrible 10" health risks from breathing polluted air: Premature death; Asthma attacks; Cardiovascular disease; Lung cancer; Developmental damage; Susceptibility to infections; Worsened COPD symptoms; Lung tissue swelling and irritation; Low infant birth weight and Wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath.
15. If ten percent of the society do a behavioural change the same becomes viral (critical mass)
16. Ten sources of pollution are: The Burning of Fossil Fuels; Industrial Emission; Indoor Air Pollution; Wildfires; Microbial Decaying Process; Transportation; Open Burning of Garbage Waste; Construction and Demolition; Agricultural Activities and Use of chemical and synthetic products.
17. One in 10 child asthma cases 'linked to traffic pollution' (10%)
18. The results of this study indicate that current levels of air pollution have chronic, adverse effects on lung development in children starting age 10 leading to clinically significant deficits in attained FEV1 as children reach adulthood. [N Engl J Med 2004; 351:1057-1067]
19. Studies have consistently shown an association between elevated ambient levels of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and increased mortality. A dose response was observed, with an increased mortality rate of 13 percent for every 10 mcg/m3 rise in PM2.5 (1.16, 95% CI 1.07-1.26) [N Engl J Med. 1993;329(24):1753.]
20. In a time-series study including over 650 cities in 24 countries, increases of 10 mcg/m3 in the two-day average PM2.5 and PM10 were associated with an increase in daily all-cause mortality (0.68, 95% CI 0.59-0.77; and 0.44, 95% CI, 0.39-0.50 respectively) [N Engl J Med 2019; 381:705.]
Ten things to do
1. Ten one liner sutras
2. Ten myths
3. 10 social media sites
4. 10 brand ambassadors, then each one makes another ten
5. 10th day of every month at 10 am to do an activity
6. Ten minutes film
7. Spend ten minutes every day “how can I reduce pollution around me”
8. Ten pledges
9. One person sensitises ten persons
10. My ten contributions and affirmations